Saturday 21 March 2015

Should I Inhibit My Praise?


Should I Inhibit My Praise?


Key Text: "David danced before the Lord with all his might" 2 Samuel 6:14

The following excerpt was illustrated in a pulpit magazine: "On the left side of the aisle three people sat stiffly in the pew; on the right side sat a man in a wheel chair. When the congregation stood to sing, the man on the right had someone help him stand. The three on the left had their arms folded; the man on the right strained to lift his arms toward heaven. As the music swelled to a crescendo, the man on the right closed his eyes and struggled to make his mouth form the words of the familiar song; the three WORSHIPERS on the left stared straight ahead, their lips sealed."

Obviously I do not know the hearts of anyone in this story, nor would I judge their intent, but when I read it, I immediately knew and realized that I had to examine my own. The story reminded me of WORSHIPERS who often would love to dictate the manner and way that individuals should worship. Worshipers who did more pouting than praising. I am guilty at times, instead of concentrating on the God I worship, I would gently criticize or judge the way others are worshiping.

When King David danced before the Lord exuberantly, his wife, Michal, called him shameless. His response -for me- has been quite instructive. He said, "I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes!" (2 Sam:6-22). David knew and realized that being GOD - CONSCIOUS COULDN'T COEXIST WITH BEING SELF - CONSCIOUS.

Taking worship seriously means taking ourselves less seriously. Worship is not about holding on to your dignity; it's all about letting loose our praise. We can never praise OUR GOD too much.

When it's time to praise our dear Heavenly Father, I should turn my thinking towards Him alone and not to others around me. No matter whether I praise and worship Him quietly and discreetly or with a little more exuberance and gusto, it is my desire for Him to help me be assured that it comes from a heart overflowing with appreciation and gratitude for all that He has especially done for me.

By Lester A. Parkinson – Director of Resource Development

University Of the Southern Caribbean

No comments:

Post a Comment