Monday 16 November 2015

Arriving On Time!

Arriving On Time!

-Lester Parkinson


Scripture Setting: Jesus answered one of the workers and said to him, "Friend, I haven't been unfair! Didn't you agree to work all day for the usual wage? Take your money and go. I wanted to pay this last worker the same as you. Is it against the law for me to do what I want with my money? Should you be jealous because I am kind to others? So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last. Matthew 20:13-16

I work on a Christian University campus. My youngest son Ross, who is a freshman lives with me. He is an intelligent, thoughtful and very kind young man. I have enquired of him if he has ever thought of deciding for Christ by going the route of baptism. His response casually has been, "Dad, I have thought of it but I am not ready!" 

Last evening the visiting preacher after delivering his penultimate sermon of our annual Week of Spiritual Emphasis, (along with our church pastor) made impassioned appeals for those who have never made a decision to be baptized should presently do so, Ross, without hesitation or coercion from anyone, slipped out from among the crowd of his fellow students (who had earlier responded to a general call for commitment) and confidently and walked onto the podium thus affirming his decision to join the ranks of those who months and years before had made similar decisions to become members of the body of Christ. Tears welled up in my eyes, as I witnessed his decision. He bravely stepped out of the crowd. His decision was firm. Ross will be immersed later today at a special baptismal ceremony after our divine worship service.

Because of his faith and confidence in taking Christ at His Word Ross will forever experience God's abiding presence, His glory, love, majesty and perfection. Some may surmise why did he wait until he was into late teen years to make his decision. However, according to Jesus, it's not about how long it took to make the decision or about fairness. It's all about God's goodness, mercies and His abundant supply of grace (vv 11-15). 

Have you waited to trust Jesus for salvation that you think that it might be too late? Consider the thief on the cross, who put his faith in Jesus just before he died (Luke 23: 39-43). Trust Jesus now, and receive His gift of eternal life. It's not too late. However, it's a dangerous presumption to say, "Tomorrow," when God says, "Today!"

(Image source: www.college.monster.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment