Friday 4 November 2016

The Image of the Invisible God

Scripture Setting: But Moses protested to God, "Who am I to appear before Pharoah? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?" God answered, "I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain." But Moses protested, "if I go to the people of Israel and tell them, "The God of your ancestors has sent me to you, they will ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?" 
God replied to Moses, "I Am Who I Am" Say this to the people of Israel:Yahweh, the God of your ancestors-the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations. Exodus 3:11-14 NLT


Almost four thousand years ago, Moses, in His very presence asked God who He was and got a peculiar answer. God said, "Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you . . . . This is my eternal name" (Exodus 3:24-15). 

From way back in my childhood, I have wondered why God would call Himself by such a name, but I have since grown to learn its significance. In my grammar classes in elementary school I learned that a sentence needs only two things to enhance its completeness: a subject and a verb. So when God says His name is "I Am," it conveys the concept that He is complete in Himself. He is indeed both subject and verb. He is everything we could possibly need.

Jesus put flesh on God's bare-boned answer to Moses' question about God's identity. Jesus left the comfort and sanctity of Heaven to show what it means to bear His Father's name. He, in confidence told His disciples, "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6). He also said, "I am the bread of life" (6:48), "the light of the world" (8:12), "the good shepherd" (10:11), and "the resurrection and the life" (11:25). In Revelation, Jesus declared, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End" (22:13). And He said, "Before Abraham was ever born, I Am" (John 8:58). 

If you're questioning who God is, just take some time to get to know Jesus in the pages of His Word. He is undoubtedly, the image of the invisible God. ---Colossians 1:15

No comments:

Post a Comment